Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

HIPs have now been scrapped, you will only need an EPC Certificate to sell or rent your home.

The HIP and the EPC are now required by law for the sale of domestic properties. This is a requirement before the property can legally be permitted to be placed for sale on the housing market.  Energy Performance Certificates EPCs
are generated by either a Home Inspector or a Domestic Energy Assessor,you can use either of these to carry out your EPC (both are trained professionals and members of the accredited schemes run by the government).A Home Inspector or a Domestic Energy Assessor will visit your property and carry out a series of checks, these will measure the energy efficiency of your property. This is accomplished using a specifically designed piece of software where all information concerning your property is uploaded by the assessor and calculated.

The assessor will then issue a certificate to the nominated pack provider or to yourselves, showing the ‘energy rating' for the property (The 'A' to 'G' ratings are very similar to those on fridges and washing machines, 'A 'meaning it is very efficient, 'G' meaning it is very inefficient) along with an Environmental Impact Rating, which gives an indication of the property's carbon-dioxide emissions.
The EPC will also provide some guidance on how the energy efficiency of the property could be improved (Cavity insulation,change light bulbs to low efficiency, install double glazing etc.)
The Energy Performance Certificate for the home is valid for 3 years and must be included in the HIP. An EPC must be made available to a potential homebuyer - free of charge.

Landlord epc

Since 1 October 2008 a landlord needs to provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) whenever a home in the social or private rented sector is let to a new tenant. The Landlord epc certificate is only required for a property which is self-contained. It is not required when a tenant rents a room and shares facilities, where a tenant has a separate contract with the landlord.  The EPC and recommendation report must be made available free of charge by a landlord to a prospective tenant at the earliest opportunity and no later than:
When any written information about the building is provided in response to a request for information received from the prospective tenant; or When a viewing is conducted; or If neither of those occur, before entering into a contract to sell or let.

EPCs are valid for 10 ten years and can be reused as many times as required within that period. If a newer EPC is produced within the ten year period, only the most recent one is valid. The only person who is able to produce an Energy Performance Certificate is an accredited energy assessor. Please note -  This EPC is no different than a Domestic EPC that is supplied with a HIP, which means if you decide to terminate your contract with a tenant or the tenants contract is up and you decide to sell the property you can order your HIP without the EPC as the original epc can be put into the HIP.
You do NOT have to order a new EPC for the hip.

From 1 October 2008 sellers and landlords will be required by law to provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for all buildings or parts of buildings when they are sold or rented.Those carrying out the construction of a building will be required to provide an EPC to the owner. An Energy Performance Certificate gives prospective buyers or tenants information on the energy efficiency and carbon emissions of a building. The certificate will be phased in from April 6 2008 when buildings sold, rented or built with a total floor area of more than 10,000sq m will require one. From 1 July 2008, this extends to buildings with a total floor area greater than 2,500 sq m. From 1 October 2008 all remaining commercial buildings will require an EPC on sale or rental or upon construction.

View full document here

Display Energy Certificates (DEC) - Display Energy Certificates (DECs) show the actual energy usage of a building, the Operational Rating, and help the public see the energy efficiency of a building. This is based on the energy consumption of the building as recorded by gas, electricity and other meters. The DEC should be clearly displayed at all times and clearly visible to the public. A DEC is always accompanied by an Advisory Report that lists cost effective measures to improve the energy rating of the building. Display Energy Certificates are only required for buildings with a total useful floor area over 1,000mē that are occupied by a public authority and institution providing a public service to a large number of persons and therefore visited by those persons. They are valid for one year. The accompanying Advisory Report is valid for seven years. The requirement for Display Energy Certificates came into effect on 1 October 2008.

View full document here